Mini Black Pepper Pork Banh Mi with Red Chili Mayonnaise
Empire Mayonnaise Co.’s Red Chili Mayonnaise (found at Sun River Gardens) brings just the right amount of heat to these miniature Vietnamese sandwiches. These little bites would be fun for a tapas party or a satisfying lunch.
INGREDIENTS FOR PORK BAH MI:
Makes 6-8 mini sandwiches
1 lb pork loin or shoulder, very thinly sliced
1 ½ Tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 Tbsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 Tbsp shallots, finely minced
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp toasted sesame seed oil
Banh Mi ingredients
Mini baguettes or dinner rolls
Pickled carrots & daikon (recipe follows)
Pork, duck or chicken liver pate (optional)
Fresh jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (optional)
Fresh cucumber, thinly sliced
Red Chili Mayonnaise by Empire Mayonnaise Co. (can be found in the gourmet foods department at Sun River Gardens)
1. Combine fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper, shallots, vegetable oil, & sesame seed oil in a plastic zip top bag. Add sliced pork. Refrigerate and allow to marinate at least 2 hours, or overnight.
2. Heat sauté pan over medium heat. Add pork slices in single layer (work in batches to avoid crowding the pan). Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side until done. Remove to a plate.
3. Assemble sandwiches with red chili mayonnaise, pate (if using), pork, pickled carrot & daikon, jalapeno slices, cucumber slices, and fresh cilantro, each to suit your taste.
INGREDIENTS FOR PICKLED CARROT & DAIKON
Makes 1 pound of pickles
½ lb carrots, julienned
½ lb daikon radish, julienned
3 cups warm water
4 Tbsp distilled or rice vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp salt
1. In a large bowl, combine water, vinegar, sugar, & salt. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
2. Pack carrots and daikon in sterile jars. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables until jars are filled.
3. Allow to pickle in refrigerator for at least 2 days. Flavor will improve over time and pickles will keep for up to 3 weeks.
Recipe developed by Laura Phann of Sun River Gardens