Pear and Swiss Chard Tart with Lavender & Espresso Hand-Rubbed Cheese
Recipe developed by Laura Phann of Sun River Gardens
Makes six 4-inch tartlets, or one 9-inch tart
Pâte Brisée (Pastry Crust)
1 ¼ cup All-Purpose flour (plus more for rolling dough)
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Sugar
8 Tbsp Unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
3-4 Tbsp Ice-cold water
Directions for crust/tartlets
1. Put cubes of butter in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
2. Place flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processer. Pulse a few times until well-combined.
3. Add frozen butter cubes to flour mixture and pulse 10-15 times, until the mixture resembles coarse meal with many butter pieces the size of peas.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of ice-cold water to the mixture and pulse a few times. Slowly add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, just until the mixture holds together when pinched between your fingers.
5. Turn dough out onto a clean work surface and knead very gently just a few times until the mixture comes together. Form into 6 evenly-sized disks (for the tartlets), or one large disk (for the 9-inch tart). Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Dust clean work surface lightly with flour, and roll out dough to ¼ – inch thickness. Place dough in tart pan(s), gently pressing into corners, without stretching dough; trim excess dough.
7. Line each pastry crust with parchment paper and then fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove weights or beans and parchment and continue to bake until golden brown, another 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly while preparing the filling.
Pear, Swiss Chard, & Cheese Filling
2 Tbsp olive oil (Casa Pareja Extra Virgin Olive Oil, recommended)
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 Leek, cut into ⅛ – inch slices
4 cups Swiss chard, chopped (tough ribs removed)
2 Tbsp White wine or water
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Black pepper, freshly ground
Pinch nutmeg, freshly ground
1 cup Milk
3 ounces Barely Buzzed cheese (by Beehive Cheese Co.), grated
1 large Anjou or Bosc pear, thinly sliced
Baby arugula, for garnish (optional)
French Grey sea salt (s.a.l.t. Sisters Sel Gris, recommended), for finishing, to taste
Directions for filling
1. Heat olive oil in sauté pan on medium heat. Add garlic and leek and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chard, white wine (or water), ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, and nutmeg, and continue to cook until chard is wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool.
3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, remaining ½ tsp salt, and remaining ¼ tsp black pepper until well combined.
4. Divide chard mixture evenly among the bottoms of each tart shell. Sprinkle evenly all but ½ oz of the grated cheese over each of the tarts; top with pear slices, pressing down slightly.
5. Pour egg and milk mixture over each tart; top each with the remaining ½ oz of grated cheese.
6. Bake at 375° F until golden brown, about 25 minutes; allow to cool slightly. Garnish with baby arugula and a sprinkling of grey sea salt, to taste.
Notes: You can find Barely Buzzed Cheese from Local Utah Company Beehive Cheese Co. +
Sel Gris French Grey Sea Salt by s.a.l.t. Sisters in the Gourmet Foods Department at Sun River Gardens.
Photo By Laura Phann
Adapted from “Small Plates and Sweet Treats”, by Aran Goyoaga