Savory Pain Perdu with Roasted Asparagus, Poached Egg, and Baby Greens
Recipe developed by Laura Phann of Sun River Gardens
8 1-inch thick slices Baguette, sliced on the diagonal
1 cup Whole Milk
5 Eggs, divided
¾ cup grated Beehive Cheese Co.’s Aggiano Cheese
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened, plus more for pan
½ pound Asparagus, woody ends removed
¾ tsp Grey Sea Salt, divided (s.a.l.t. Sisters Sel Gris, recommended)
½ tsp freshly ground Black Pepper, divided
2 Tbsp Olive Oil, divided (Romanico Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil, recommended)
2 ¼ tsp Red Wine Vinegar, divided
3 cups Baby Greens
Beehive Cheese Co.’s Aggiano cheese, a creamy, nutty parmesan, is an excellent match to this savory French toast. Topped with roasted asparagus and a poached egg with a side of lightly dressed baby greens, this dish would be perfect for brunch or a light supper.
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Butter a shallow 8×8 inch baking dish or 9 inch pie plate. Line the bottom of the pan with slices of baguette in a single layer. (You may need more or less slices, depending on the diameter of your baguette.)
3. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine milk, 1 egg, and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Pour over bread slices. Top with cheese and press down gently to allow bread to begin soaking up the custard. Dot the top with butter. Allow to sit at room temperature for 20 – 25 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the asparagus. Place washed and trimmed asparagus spears on a baking sheet with 1 Tbsp olive oil, ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Toss to coat completely and arrange in an even layer.
5. Place pain perdu and asparagus in oven. Bake pain perdu until puffed and golden brown, 20 – 25 minutes. Roast asparagus until crisp-tender, 15 – 20 minutes. Bring 2 – 3 inches water and ¼ tsp red wine vinegar to a boil in a shallow saucepan while pain perdu and asparagus are in the oven.
6. When pain perdu and asparagus are done, allow to cool slightly while preparing the poached eggs.
7. Working one at a time, crack an egg into a small bowl. Gently slide egg into boiling water. Proceed with remaining 3 eggs. Allow to simmer gently for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from water with a slotted spoon.
8. Toss greens with 2 tsp red wine vinegar, 1 Tbsp olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt.
9. To serve, place pain perdu on a plate. Top with roasted asparagus and poached egg, with greens on the side. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Notes: You can find Barely Buzzed Cheese from Local Utah Company Beehive Cheese Co.,
Sel Gris French Grey Sea Salt by s.a.l.t. Sisters + Romanico Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the Gourmet Foods Department at Sun River Gardens.
Photo By Laura Phann